Answered By: Cassandra Thompson Last Updated: Jun 01, 2016 Views: 56
The Career Center has a lot of recourses that can help you when writing a CV:
What is a Curriculum Vitae?
A curriculum vitae (CV) is a detailed, lengthy, and structured listing of education, publications, projects, awards, and work history. The CV should address your aptitude, experience, and skills and display your education related to a specific position. A CV is mostly utilized in academia, the medical sciences, law, and research-related careers.
When is a CV Appropriate?
- Application for positions in academia or research
- Applications for some fellowships, scholarships, or grants
- Application for graduate and professional school
Possible Sections to Include in a CV
- Name and Address
- Academic, Research, and
- Educational Travel
- Grants Received
- Language Skills
- Professional Affiliations
- Professional Presentations
- Special Skills/Interest Areas
- Special Training
- Work Experience
Formatting Your CV
- Prioritize the information on your CV, and provide it in chronological order.
- Devote more space to the most important aspects of your background.
- Consider developing more than one CV if you are applying for different positions.
Visual Aspects of Your CV
Similar to a résumé, a CV should be well structured, concise, and easy to read and follow. A CV differs from a résumé in the sense that a CV can be as long as it needs to be. When developing your CV, consider the following.
- Set 1-inch margins all around
- Font type and font size should be consistent throughout the CV
- Use 12-inch font size
- Adequate white space is essential
- Be consistent with where you place your information
- Utilize accessible headings and hanging indents
- Use formatting techniques such as bolding or italics to highlight important pieces of information
- Use appropriate use of present and past tense
- Use paper that will enhance the visual impression (i.e., professional résumé paper)
- Do not include your references on your CV; create a separate reference list